​          Construction started on the Shade Consolidated School building in 1936 and was completed for school in the fall of 1937. Students from Lodi, Alexander, and Carthage Townships in Athens County, and Bedford Township in Meigs County received their education there in grades 1-12. The school became the center of the community for ball games, holiday celebrations, 4-H events, square dances, and the annual Alumni Banquet, just to name a few. When local resident Steve Kane and township Trustee Roger Hawk heard the recently vacated Shade Junior High School building might be the target of a wrecking ball, they went into action. They appealed to the local residents for support and received over $20,000 in pledges. The prospect of losing the building would have meant almost total loss of community to the residents. With seed money from the O’Bleness Foundation, the Shade Community Center Association (SCCA) was formed. The Lodi Township Trustees bought the Shade School building and grounds from the Alexander Local School District for $10.00, and the SCCA signed a twenty-five year lease on March 29, 2005.

          The mission of the Shade Community Center Association is to enhance and enrich the life of the members of our community. In fulfilling our mission, the Center promotes a spirit of community and identifies and responds to community needs. We cooperate with various individuals and organizations to promote recreational and cultural events. The Center provides meeting space and assorted programs for different age groups and interests.

History of the Shade Community Center Building